Understanding Adrenal Fatigue and How to Effectively Use Holistic Treatments
Adrenal Fatigue is a relatively new term to have entered today’s health lexicon. According to many experts, the majority of people who live in the modern world are deeply adrenal fatigued. But what exactly is Adrenal Fatigue and how do you know if it is affecting your day-to-day life. And, perhaps more importantly, what do you do about it if it is?
What Is Adrenal Fatigue?
In short, Adrenal Fatigue is really a syndrome caused by your adrenal glands being unable to function at the proper level. Your adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys, creating stress hormones, like adrenaline, hydrocortisone (cortisol) and aldosterone. These glands, as their location would suggest, work closely with your kidneys, which help your body detox and reset. Your adrenal glands function according to the messages they receive from your kidneys. This duo, often over-stressed and over-taxed in today’s world, can wreak havoc on your body when they are not functioning at their optimal level.
Unable to produce enough of the “feel-good” hormones your body needs in order to work properly, fatigued adrenals can leave you with a plethora of persistent symptoms, many of which are difficult, if not impossible, to detect through standard procedures performed at your doctor’s office.
Common Causes of Adrenal Fatigue
Your kidneys, which filter around 150 quarts of blood each day, are taxed from typically daily exposure of caffeine, sugar, unnatural substances (like chemicals), and pollution. The hormones created by stress also need to be filtered out of the blood, which adds additional work for your kidneys. Add in alcohol, and it’s no wonder your kidneys can’t keep up.
In a nearly constant stressed state, your kidneys are likely to be sending stress signals to your adrenals, which means that instead of producing the “happy” hormones you want, they continue to produce the stress hormones that leave you feeling less than good.
While Adrenal Fatigue is yet to be recognized by some health professionals, many specialists agree that this syndrome is caused by numerous factors. Which include:
- Stress: Being in a constant state of fight-or-flight
- Caffeine and Sugar: Overconsumption of substances that make our bodies work extra hard to process
- Technology: Too much exposure to technology can contribute to your body’s constant stressed state
- Dehydration: Not getting enough water makes your kidneys and your adrenals suffer and keeps them from doing their job well
- Negative Thinking: Consistent negative thoughts or reoccurring flashbacks from traumatic events can keep your body in a constant state of stress
Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
While the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue can be different for everybody, the most typical are:
- Mild depression
- Feeling constantly stressed
- Body aches
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Below normal blood sugar or body temperature
- Above normal need for coffee or sugar
- Loss of libido
- Difficulty sleeping
- Reduced memory capacity
These are, of course, just a few of the side effects that are caused by your adrenals being fatigued. Many people who deal with this syndrome may experience everything listed above or just one.
So how do you know if you have Adrenal Fatigue?
Diagnosing Adrenal Fatigue
Diagnosing Adrenal Fatigue can be difficult for a couple of reasons. The first is that the blood tests done by typical doctor’s offices aren’t sensitive enough to pick up on the deficiency. Second, Adrenal Fatigue can come and go for some people. Depending on life events, jobs, etc., some people can deal with fatigued adrenals for just a few weeks or months before their body resets and returns to normal. For these people, they oftentimes don’t notice they were suffering until they’re better again.
An “official” diagnosis is less important than proper holistic treatments. Chances are, if it feels like your body is off or is not functioning properly and, in turn, your quality of life is suffering, you have Adrenal Fatigue.
Holistic Treatments for Adrenal Fatigue
There are lots of ways you can begin to treat Adrenal Fatigue. Holistic approaches are the safest and are oftentimes the most effective too. Below is a list of some of the best holistic treatments for Adrenal Fatigue.
- Hydrate: Drink more water. Period. The recommended amount is typically half your weight in ounces.
- Detox: Give your kidneys and adrenals a chance to rest by removing toxins from your diet, such as caffeine, sugar, acidic foods, alcohol, cigarettes, etc.
- Breathe: Practicing deep breathing exercises can not only help you manage stress, but some will also help you detoxify at the same time.
- Supplements: Adding ashwaganda, holy basil, fish oil, magnesium and zinc (among others) can help bring your body back to balance.
- Exercise: Regular exercise can help to set your body on a better, natural schedule and rhythm while also giving you an automatic increase in “happy” hormones.
No one should be forced to live with the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue, especially when there are wonderfully effective treatments available to you right now. And, if you’re not convinced of all of the reasons you should begin working on the health of your adrenals, maybe this last note will encourage you.
One of the greatest ways to fight aging and naturally improve the appearance of your face and body is by taking care of your adrenals!
How about that for some motivation?