Tips For Boosting Your Urinary Health
Many people affected by urinary tract infections are given antibiotics. The antibiotics treat the existing infection, but do nothing to address the underlying cause of the issue. Urinary health depends on multiple factors. Let’s take a look at how to maintain urinary health, what causes issues, how they are diagnosed, as well as holistic approaches to treating urinary tract infections.
What causes a urinary tract infection?
According the the Mayo Clinic, “A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of your urinary system — your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the bladder and the urethra.” Women are at a greater risk than men of developing a UTI. A UTI is caused by foreign or domestic bacteria that invades your urinary tract.
How is it diagnosed?
UTI’s are typically diagnosed by taking a urine sample and taking a look at white and red blood cells, as well as bacteria. The urine analysis is sometimes followed by a urine culture where they grow bacteria in a lab using your urine. If you suffer from chronic infections, a doctor may recommend doing some imaging of your urinary tract as well as a cystoscopy to look inside your urethra and bladder.
Holistic ways to treat a urinary tract infection.
Holistic ways to treat a UTI are:
- Drink a lot of water. This will help
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and soda with citrus juices added while you have an active infection. These can irritate your bladder.
- Take cranberry tablets. Some people recommend juice, but many have high amounts of sugar and acid that aren’t tolerated well. Cranberry tablets eliminate those extra ingredients. It is best to take them before bed so that they stay in your urine longer while you sleep.
- Switch to a probiotic-rich diet that cuts out most of the foods consumed in the standard American diet. Probiotic-rich foods support the good bacteria in our bodies that we need for a healthy gut and healthy body.
- Urinate often. Typically with a UTI, you will feel the need to urinate frequently. Do it. By eliminating it from your body, it doesn’t give it as much time to build up more of the bad bacteria.
- Eat more garlic. Garlic is a powerhouse against all things bad. It is antibacterial and antifungal.
- Consume D-mannose powder. It is a type of sugar similar to glucose that prevents bacteria from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract.
- Up your Vitamin C (which makes your urine more acidic and a more hostile environment to bacteria like E. Coli), as well as other necessary Vitamins for full-body health.
- You could also utilize certain essential oils like, oregano, myrrh, and clove. Only utilize these under the supervision of a health professional.
There are plenty of simple ways to treat or help prevent urinary tract infections. An important note to remember is that holistic medicine doesn’t have to completely negate mainstream medicine. If you are using holistic methods, yet your symptoms get worse (like fever, chills, kidney pain, etc), antibiotics might be the only option to help your body fight that specific infection and prevent serious complications. Once you clear up that particular infection, you can begin focusing on ways to prevent any further infections using a holistic approach.